I really wanted to post this recipe closer to St Patrick’s Day, but since there’s always a green-loving holiday around the corner, I thought I’d dedicate this recipe to Earth Day coming up on April 22.
Compared to other desserts, Rice Krispies treats are relatively low in calories, and these green tea rice krispies treats are no different, although they boast numerous other health benefits like a metabolism boost and loads of antioxidants. Many people have caught on to the health benefits of drinking green tea, but matcha green tea powder has a higher concentration of green tea and can be added into many desserts or smoothies. If you want dessert without a lot of calories, I’d suggest these matcha green tea rice krispies!
To get started, you’ll need:
- 4 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- One 300 g bag of marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 teaspoons matcha green tea powder (the higher quality matcha will make the krispies a bright green)
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat
- Stir in the marshmallows and mix until melted
- Remove the pot from heat and add in the matcha green tea powder
- Pour in the cereal and stir until the krispies are covered with the matcha green tea powder marshmallow mixture
- Pour the mixture into a pan and shape the krispies however you’d like!
After you’ve made them once or twice, you can tweak the amount of green tea powder depending on how much green tea flavor you prefer. I really like a lot of matcha green tea powder in my desserts, but you might be different! Feel free to be creative with your shapes! I think Rice Krispies treats taste best when they come in funky shapes like hearts or triangles! Enjoy these green tea rice krispies!